CTA Study Skills Seminar 2018
“The more you understand, the less you have to remember”… Craig A. McCraw
Next Seminar Saturday 15th September 2018
9:30 am to 4.30 pm (1 hour for lunch)
(Registration closing date 18th August 2018)
The skills for learning are at the very core of the educational process. Telling a student to study hard without teaching them the best methods or techniques to use is fruitless. The goal of Study Skills seminars is to equip students with the skills and motivation to achieve optimum results through precise study techniques. The vital task of teaching students how to study and maximize their potential can slip by in today’s busy school schedule. If students learn how to study, their confidence soars and their school/college results can improve dramatically. Students have to make their own condensed notes. They learn from MAKING them. A lot of thinking goes into deciding what to include and exclude in these notes. The student has to develop their own system of abbreviations and memory techniques for the information to be absorbed.
This one day intensive seminar covers a wide range of skills including motivation, goal setting, time management, exam performance, note taking and memory techniques. The seminar is designed to help second level students achieve their full potential, by improving their study and organisational techniques and their motivation to succeed.
Studies have shown that the right skill set and the right motivation will lead to positive results! This seminar uses state of the art computer graphics, audience interaction and role play; it is ideal for all students but but most particularly those in exam years.
Each student receives a booklet summarising the main points covered in the seminar. They will also receive a Diary/Planner to assist with their organisational techniques during the school year.
Professionals specially trained in study techniques are selected because of their ability to motivate and communicate effectively with students. ‘Student Response Sheets’ make it clear that the skills learnt benefit them greatly with their studies.
Some of the following topics will be covered in the seminar:
Students begin the course by completing a questionnaire to help identify areas which may be holding them back from achieving their full potential.
- Goal Setting: Set realistic goals. long, intermediate and short term goal charts.
- Time Management: Students are shown how to construct a workable study/homework timetable to suit their personal needs.
- Note Taking: By working through our sample exercise sheets, students are taught the basic skills of note taking, thereby saving hours of wasted study time! We will examine different styles of note taking (outline method, spider diagrams, mind mapping, graphic organisers, concept maps).
- Memory Techniques: Simple ideas to improve one’s capacity to store information.
- Essay Writing: shows excellent ways of improving one’s writing skills, concentrating on The Narrative Essay.
- Exam Techniques: We show students how to prepare for and sit their exams and how to construct their revision planners. We point out common pitfalls and explain to them what the examiner is really looking for.
- Individual Learning Styles
- Coping with stress
The fee for this course is €90. A deposit of €50 will secure a place, balance owing to be paid prior to the seminar start date.
In partnership with :
These Seminars are subject to demand and places are limited. Registration for this Seminar opens in July 2018. As such we are not currently taking bookings. However, you can register your interest today by emailing the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org to avoid disappointment! Preference will be given to those on the ‘Expressions of Interest’ list!
* All registered Guidance Practitioners will hold a minimum Post Graduate or Master’s Qualification in Career Guidance from an Irish or British University. They will also hold an Undergraduate Degree and most will also hold a Teaching Post Grad and have also passed the British Psychometric Society Level A Exam (BPS Level A)