Understanding Basic Irish Sign Language
“Signs are to eyes what words are to ears. “- Ken Glickman
8 Week ‘Taster’ Course
NEXT COURSE STARTING SEPTEMBER 2018
(Registration closing date August 2018)
Irish Sign Language (ISL) is the sign language used in Ireland (primarily in the Republic of Ireland). CTA is now offering a course in Basic ISL. This course gives a concise overview of ISL, basic signs and instructions. The Student will also gain an understanding of the problems and barriers that people who have a hearing loss can experience. It will also outline basic strategies hearing people can use to communicate respectfully and effectively with deaf people.
- Certificate of Attendance in Basic Irish Sign Language
There are no previous academic requirements for this course.
The course is 8 Weeks duration. One 6o min class per week.
- Classroom based
- Background to Irish Sign Language in Ireland
- Communication Strategies and Body Positioning
- ISL Alphabet and Finger Spelling
- Basic Communication – Greetings/Family/Time/Numbers/Directions
- Interacting with a Deaf Person
- ISL in Practice
- €120 for the 8 week course (fee includes all classroom materials and assessment)
*Timetable subject to change
In partnership with:
**All teachers are qualified Irish Sign Language teachers from the Centre for Deaf Studies, Trinity College and have extensive teaching experience. Teachers have many years of experience teaching ISL with a student– centred approach, with ongoing teacher training sessions, hence you will benefit from well trained teachers who work from an organised curriculum to ensure structured learning of ISL is at the highest quality standard.
* This course will run subject to demand. For more information and/or to register your interest please contact us now on email@example.com
**All of our Sign Language Courses require a minimum of 10 registrants in order to take place. While we expect to reach this minimum in all courses, in the event that there are not enough participants registered by the Sunday evening before the first day of the course, we reserve the right to cancel the course and process a full refund of fees paid to the student/parent.